Monday 7 April 2014

Week #12, 13 & 14… and we are baaackkk!

Well if you have been missing my posts the past 3 weeks then I owe you an apology for not keeping it updated and if you haven't been missing my post - it just means that it is high time you start following this mindless but mostly awesome bantering on how to run your first full marathon.

Before I share more about the training - here's something I want to know from all marathon runners - how do you FEEL when someone comes and asks you if you are running the 5 or the 10k Marathon? Most of the time I try to correct the ignorant party by telling them that there is only ONE marathon distance and it is 42.2 but I notice that sometimes it doesn't go down very well. I mean they don't get why their 5K run should NOT be called a marathon and only your 42.2k deserves to be called that! One day, I tell ya…

Anyway, moving forward with the training updates, that was one nasty virus that set me back quite a bit. But like they say, if bugs are tough, runners are tougher (or so I would like to believe!)

The recovery during week #12 was as per Coach's plan - a little bit of strength training alternating with slow run-walk-run. It was really difficult to get the breathing back those early days and I added a couple of 15K cycling routines to give the training some variety.

Week #13 was the announcement of summer in Bangalore. I mean seriously - the city was going berserk and beat the 'hot-like-hell-Chennai' with it's soaring mercury. That is when I headed to the pool with a vengeance - 30 laps swimming one day, followed by an 18k cycle ride and a 3km run on the same day got me a pat on my back from the coach - yes I am still that puppy who loves her treats after a good trick (or workout in this case). This week my long run was 11k that started from my home and ended at Bangalore Club. The original plan was 15k but it was just too hot to continue so I made it up with a 20 laps swim in the pool.

This was the week that I realised that on more than just the odd day I end up missing strength training if my trainer doesn't show up. So I have now come up with what I call is my own ULTIMATE STRENGTH TRAINING module for such days. It goes like this:
Warm up: skipping - 100 skips on both legs, followed by 50 on single leg left and right. Followed by Dynamic stretches
Workout -
30 heel rise for calves
Ankle strengthening - Walk on ball of your feel and your heels - 20 steps each
20 x 2 sets squats
30 sec to 1 min Plank for core
30 sec to 1 min side plank for side core
20 x 2 back kicks for gluteus and lower back
20 x 2 leg curls for hamstrings (lie on belly and flex legs up and down)
2 x 1 min - hip rise - hamstrings a
20 x 2 back-side kicks at 45 degrees for IT band
20 x 2 leg rise for abs
15 x 2 push ups - upper body
15 x 2 lunges - quads, hamstring, gluteus
20 x 2 cruches for abs
Balancing on one leg - 30 sec each leg and then repeat with eyes closed
Cool down stretches.
And oh yes, the last time he missed the class I let him know that I had done my work out anyway! Yeah - take that… 
Week #14.. speed work out - though not quite at the goals coach had set out, followed by strength training and finally my very favourite Nandi Hill run. Thank you Brijesh for getting this organised for me - I had been wanting to do this for weeks and finally I had my chance on Saturday. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I walked most of it uphill after the 3rd Km I think (the Garmin and the iPod conked out just as I started running) but thanks Anoop for the company uphill and downhill and for introducing me to a word that I am going to be tripping on a long time - LSD - long slow distance (I think he might have added 'run' after that). 
I am proud to share that after this run, I headed out for a 18km bike ride to Cubbon Park with a 5k - run walk run the very next day. And look what I found along the way...
Thats me in the shadow!

We are now in the second quarter of the FM training and the goal over the next few weeks will be to build speed with medium mileage and strength training with at least one run of 30+km. Please read Week#4 update to see how the 42 weeks are planned. 
Food wise, I am waiting for mangoes to hit the market. Till then I am freaking out with choco-bars, some energy packed carrot juice, grapes, watermelon, my very favourite mush-melon and my biggest vice - cuppa tea with 2 Parle G biscuits dipped in them - when the temperature is just right. For the record, I am looking for de-addiction remedies on this one - if anyone has any ideas on it.

Thank you Asima for the picture.. and Brijesh for the flag that's going to London with me to cheer the Indian runners!

So, it looks like we are back on track…at least I hope so. Tomorrow I head out for a speed run (that I anticipate will not be quite like what the coach has asked for) and later in the night I am heading out to London with Brijesh's Indian flag to support the Active Holiday Company's group of runners running the Virgin Money London Marathon on Sunday. Oh yes, the 42.2km one! Not an inch less :)

4 comments:

  1. All the best for London!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sam! I am going as the cheer leader this time but thats an important job too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, the flag is going to London :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoy reading your blog...keep it up and all the best

    ReplyDelete