Monday 24 February 2014

Week 8.. Like Never Before…


Imagine a week that starts with - The trainer didn't show up first thing on Monday morning!! I am telling you the truth - before my phone could wake me up there was a message: I will do take the make up class on Friday. Then goes a frantic boo-hoo message to coach saying - he didn't turn up.

So it was on coach's advise that my week started off on a different note.

Mon - 7.5 km of slow running on wobbly knees
Tues - 25 laps of swimming - could have done more but just decided to bum about. Was my first swim of the season (and 2014) - not bad..
Wed -  Guess what? Trainer showed up.. leg strengthening followed by lower core
Thu - Back at Kanateerva - the goal was 10 X 1 min (1 min running and 1 min walking). Was the first time I was ever doing this and I felt that I could have gone on a bit longer but why do more than what the coach prescribes (leading cause of injuries!). I think even coach felt that my workout was 'not bad!'
Fri - Make up class from trainer where he explained to me why he is petrified of dogs and sprints as soon as he sees one! Workout was upper body with weights and upper core.
Sat - the day for the four letter word - R-E-S-T!
Sun - Pinkathon!!

My 12 year old at the start line.. thanks FlashBlubzz for the lovely click

Another Flashblubzz picture of my 10 year old. You can see she's having a rollicking time :)

My daughters enrolled for the 3K, my cousin and niece for the 5K and finally I for the 10K. So, my run started first and I was very casual and uncompetitive about it. I ran the first 5 to 6 km comfortably. Almost the whole world was ahead of me but I didn't feel too worried about it. After last week's 9 km in 1.15 mins my expectation was to just continue to do a bit better than last saturday. Somehow after the  6.5 km mark I started to feel that I had a lot left in me and that's when I started to push.

 For the first time in my life I closed at negative splits - my last two kms were the fastest during the entire race. I completed the 10K distance at a 1.08 which was only one min faster than my PB. Oh and I am forgetting another 'first' - my last 200m were at a pace of 5.07!!

Pacemakers team was super. Patrick taking pictures, Coach and I exchanged a hi-five, Brijesh screamed a GG (go gauri), Alifiah, Saroja, Neera the other PM ladies who ran the race, Anand - who paced me the last 200m and Jagmohan who I grabbed to overcome my breathlessness. For the record it is NOT the same with the 3Bs (Bobby, Brojen and Brijesh) but still had some fun exchanging mindless banterings with the buses - Bus TimTim, Bus Vaishali, non-bus Narayani and poor Ash Nath caught between the nonsense exchange. I got to meet so many many virtual friends for the first time - TFC gals, mommies of my kids classmates. Caught up with Sree for the first time after I quit Cosmos.

Anyway it was fun AND my babies, girls running for the girls, did a 23 and 28 mins for their very first 3km. My niece rocked it as did my namesake cousin.

The family gurlzzz - the ones who ran the Pinkathon :)

I gotta say the knees are still wobbly. The other injuries seem to be getting better. And I have a confession to make - the weight is going no-where… that's obvious from those pictures - I don't want to see my own race pictures, for the same reason I don't want to see the scales - they all show the stuff I don't want to see.

Back to another week of training. Part of it would be the Contours Women's Day run! Now that I 'know' I have my legs back, maybe, I will go ahead and just do it as part of my training - do the 10k and add some more distance, treating it as long distance weekend run! Good idea, whaddya say?

4 comments:

  1. Running ( even a lot ) is not going to nudge those scales. Prevention is better than cure and the trick is to eat sensibly.

    But you know that already!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! I just need someone reminding me though. and you know that you are not a part of the support team without reason!! :)

      Delete
  2. GO, GO, GO, Gauri!!! U Know U CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete