Sunday 9 February 2014

Week 6 - Ah, that muscle!!

You know that your training has really begun when your gluteus is in so much pain that simple activities like sitting on and getting up from a chair make you realise that those muscles exist in your body. So let's just say that this week was about that…

Mon: Trainer didn't show up for the first day of training and I was so happy - you will soon see why!!

Tues: Coaching at Kanateerva - 1.2 km warm up, stretches, 6 km running, stretches and the entire day spent cleaning my cupboard. Such a satisfying experience and I am thinking good exercise too (mental and physical).

Wed: The trainer showed up and 45 mins of 'boot-camp' was enough to set off some new muscle discoveries that lasted almost the entire week. Today, was another detox day - bathroom cupboard cleaning!

Thu: Kanateerva with Coach Pani - I so like doing a one to one with him in the evenings - without the pressure of a group - I do love them but because my running group is made up of super achievers who run at an average pace - twice as fast as mine - it often leaves me feeling inadequate! The workout was 1.2 km warn up, 7 km running and stretches before and after. Running with all those muscles paining was really challenging..  very tough run!

Fri: The trainer was supposed to come in to make up for Monday's class - his SMS at 6.30 am saying that he won't be able to come in was just music to my ears.. Rest Day.. ahhh finally! Good idea for this to be a rest day also in anticipation of the next days long run.

Sat: The long run didn't happen for a few reasons but I did squeeze in a 5 km run late evening.

Sun:  Woke up late (missing the Pinkathon practise run), went for masala dosa breakfast, then a movie with the kids, cheered the good looking Bangalore cyclists with Dharma along the way, lunch at in-laws, nap and then it was sun set!!

I know you are thinking another day of excuses for missing the long run - but then I kicked my own a@# and went out for the designated 90 mins of my feet. The directive was - no speed and no distance pressure - only 90 mins continuous running. Got home at 8.45 but proud of myself that I kept at it. Even though I was on my own, I think this is the run where the group running really plays an important role as the left and right of my brain keep squabbling over my goal. At 45 mins it said 'just do another 15 mins and quit', while the other side was persistent that 'it's supposed to be a 90 min workout..' - maybe I should switch to group running with this one as a group would make sure your left and right brain are on the same page - 90 mins!

Satisfying week in terms of moving a bit closer to building stamina and endurance - the goal for the next few weeks. My new trainer is appalled at my poor flexibility but he says my strength is 'not bad' - so there - I knew all that running the past few years had to count for something!! But he is slowly and surely going to work on getting that stupid hamstring sorted.. Honestly, with all the new muscle pain I am not sure how the injuries are doing.

Food wise it is really tough to be in control - spl when all the work out makes me hungry all time. But keeping from chocolate is worse! One day I HAD to give in and I made some divine crepes (using my sister in law's new recipe) and chomped them with no less than Nutella.

Thank you dear God for small joys! I think despite all of this my weight has sort of come down but I am keeping away from the scales as advised by Paul McKenna - he says real weight difference shows up only once in a couple of weeks and it is advisable to check weight no more than twice in a couple of months. So that's that! But that apart, I have been good I think..

Bangalore has started to get hot and I need to increase my water in-take to at least 3 to 4 litres a day.

Finally the one other thing that stuck out throughout the week was how much I slept.. I have napped almost every single day, woken up late in the morning and I am afraid to even count how many hours a day I have slept every day! But I would rather be this than sleep deprived..

So that's how the week went and now its time to say happy 14th wedding anniversary to Uday and me - I can't believe I managed to con him into marrying me and managed to keep him conned all these years :)

No comments:

Post a Comment